Saturday, June 11, 2016

Oh, these are the people in your neighborhood...

This week I said goodbye to San Cristóbal, and yesterday evening I boarded a bus for a 12-hour ride to Puebla, where I will be participating in the Literacy Squared Institute.

Here are a few of the people I will dearly miss:


Sinead, fellow Fulbrighter and incredibly loyal friend in times of anxiety.
Kenny, friend and alum of the Escuela de Lenguas.
Jchanub Palas (Prof. Francisco), my Tsotsil professor.
Once, after I read through my homework assignment, he said I could teach
Tsotsil at Harvard. Needless to say, I think he's great.
I am incredibly embarrassed that this is the only photograph I have of my amazing adviser, Marisa (center), and her eyes are closed! I will have to contract another photo. On the right is Olimpia,  another professor at the Escuela de lenguas, and on the left is Diane, a Pomona alum/former Claremont resident and teacher/Chiapas researcher.
Lupita, my favorite step instructor is here pictured standing on a stage to compensate for the foot difference in height.
More than my E. coli, salmonella, and typhoid fever,
this woman kept me from turning into one giant tamale during my time in Chiapas.

Alejandra and María Elena, librarians and also my "Alfabetización y cultura" professors 
standing in their wonderfully-maintained Institute for Indigenous Studies library
Most of the primary school staff of Pequeño Sol + my Tsotsil classmate. A fun group of teachers!

...The people that you meet when you´re walking down the street. They´re the people that you meet each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment