Sunday, March 6, 2016

Get out if you can / Treading lightly in educational politics

Friday I visited the government's Teacher Center. It is located on the outskirts of town, next to this neighborhood:
Maybe I'm mis-translating this, but I'm pretty sure it is called "Get out if you can..."
The main reason I wanted to connect with the teacher center was to try to lend some legitimacy to my research project and potentially recruit teachers with whom to collaborate.
In researching said teacher center, however, I discovered it might not be the most popular endorsement. Instead of finding an address in my google search, I found a couple of articles about an incident this summer when union activists burned the furniture and paperwork and defaced the buildings in protest against the education reform.


The buildings were significantly run-down, and there was no running water. Three women sat in a dark office and were initially a little reserved, but when I explained my project, they opened up and sounded interested in collaborating. I'm going back on Tuesday to talk to the boss, so we shall see...


No comments:

Post a Comment