Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Day 1, in which I make my first impression at the university in hiking clothes

After breakfast this morning, as I was trying to orient myself and prepare for the day, I received the following Whatsapp message from Sinead, the Fulbright English Teaching Assistant in my town (formerly known as my sole contact in Chiapas):
S - Tengo que reunir con unos amigos que están visitando a las 9. Si quieres venir a las 9 vamos a caminar al bosque I have to meet up with some visiting friends at 9. If you want to come at 9 we´re going to walk to the woods.
Me - A las 9? Como en 10 minutos? At 9? You mean in 10 minutes?

I was not entirely prepared for a walk in the woods, but following my mom´s advice to accept all invitations, I accepted. I quickly changed into hiking clothes, threw my toothbrush into my purse so I could brush my teeth on the way out, and asked directions to the meeting spot after paying my bill at the hostel.

It was a beautiful hike, even if we got a little bit lost, had close encounters with a barbed-wire fence, and crossed a not-so-secure bridge.
 View of San Cristóbal
Photo doesn't capture full scariness of bridge. This bridge was not included in the airport infrastructure photo contest. 

After the hike, Sinead had to meet with her supervisor at the university, so she asked if I wanted to walk the 40 minutes with her to learn the route. Even though classes don't start until Monday, it turned out that my advisor was there at the university. (So far, she has only seen me after a day of traveling and in dirty, sweaty hiking clothes; it's lucky she's still willing to work with me!) I was able to talk with her and meet various important university figures (still in my hiking clothes). Suddenly, it was 5 o'clock, and Sinead and I got a ride back to the city center to have lunch (?!)

When I finally got back to my room at the hostel, it was 7:30. I realize I am sunburnt (altitude + deceptively cool weather = bad news for gringa skin). Also cold and exhausted, barely able to move, but grateful for a productive day and promising start to my 6 month adventure.

5 comments:

  1. Looks pretty. Glad you got there safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for adventure! It looks gorgeous. I can't wait to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! our trips will be so different! I will be in city of one million people!

    ReplyDelete