Thursday, January 7, 2016

¡Feliz día de los reyes magos!

Yesterday I met the director and librarian for the Institute for Indigenous Studies at the university. Within seconds of meeting, she invited me to join her and all of her colleagues in celebrating Kings' Day (Epiphany) by sharing a "rosca de reyes," Each person has to cut her/his own piece of the bread ring. Whoever finds a plastic baby Jesus inside has to bring tamales for everyone on February 2. Although I have made tamales once (with much help from Valerie Flores), I was happy not to find anything but bread and candied fruit in my piece. That didn't mean I was exempt from having to wear a silly crown:

After this brief diversion, I returned to the library to start reading some of the books on the history of Chiapas that the director recommended. I have much to learn, and it was somewhat slow-going.


No comments:

Post a Comment